If you have material you'd be willing to share, or know of books for sale, send list of books via
Rules for Lookup Volunteers
- Volunteers may do unlimited lookups if and only if:
Volunteers may be able to make certain limited scope lookups in copyrighted publications
under the "fair use" provisions of existing law.
Potential volunteers are encouraged to review the explanations of copyright protection,
especially the "fair use" provisions, available elsewhere on the Web.
USGenWeb policy regarding copyright, and links to an explanation of the provisions, are located
- The lookup volunteer is the actual author and copyright holder of the publication.
- The lookup volunteer is using primary source documents ... whether they are treking to the
courthouse or using their own xeroxed copies of public domain documents.
- The lookup volunteer has written permission from the author / copyright holder to use their
publication for lookups
Rules for Lookup Requests
-- Researchers should not ask, nor may lookup
volunteers offer, to violate copyright laws in responding to requests for lookups in any
copyrighted material. --
- Mention the name of the book in your message.
- Our volunteers aren't mind-readers
- they may not remember which books they volunteered for.
- Make your requests for lookup limited in scope.
- "Tell me everything about the
Smiths" is probably too broad. <grin>
Click on book title to send request, or note address for
later email to:
Researchers for hire
The following have requested their contact information be posted for the possible use of those
looking for help in researching their families.
There is no implied endorsement of these researchers, their competence or reliability.
Books Listed for Sale by Various Vendors
We do not warrant pricing information or availability
Some books may be offered by more than one vendor, so compare prices ... 8^)
Gayle K. Blankenship, 24 Roberts Landing, Poquoson, VA 23662-1026
Blankenship Ancestors, by Gayle K. Blankenship, $46.00 (includes postage), VA residents
add $2.07 tax.
Mercer Co. families include: Abbott & Chapman, Blankenship, Davis, Dunn, Johnston, Jones,
Perdue, and White.
Many other families are included that contain ancestors of the above.
Hackers Creek Pioneer Descendants, Route 1, Box 238, Jane Lew, WV 26378, (304) 269-7091,
- 1880 Census of West Virginia, William A. Marsh, Vol 9
- Counties of
Greenbrier, Monroe, Summers, Mercer, McDowell, $38.50
Ranae Doyle Hazelwood, E-9 Woodcrest Addition, Princeton, West Virginia 24740, (304)
- The Budding of the Tree, The Doyle Family, by Ranae Doyle Hazelwood, $60.00 includes
postage and handling, 237 pages; hardback book; 192 pictures
- tells the story of the Doyle family and their related families in their moments of joy, pain,
and grief. It is biographical and autobiographical in format.
- Some related families include the Jewells and Halls from Montgomery County, Virginia; the
Belchers from Tazewell Co. Va. and the Frenches from Tazewell Co, & Giles Co. Virginia and Mercer
County, West Virginia.
Heritage Books, Inc., 1540-E Pointer Ridge Place, Bowie MD 20716
- MD residents add 5% sales tax
- Postage is $4.00 for 1st item, $1.00 each additional item
- Express Shipment is $15.00 for 1st item, $2.00 each additional
- Descendants of Jacob George Wickline and Maria Catharine, co-authored by Margureitte Ratliff and
Jane Green Volckmann.
- Describing the Wicklines of Monroe, Greenbrier, Fayette, Raleigh, Mercer, Summers and
- Follow link for ordering info. Books are "hard cover" not paperback, as stated on the
- The Virginia Genealogist, John Frederick Dorman
- Vol 18, 1974, includes A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Mecklenburg, Mercer,
Middlesex, Mineral, Mingo, Monongalia, Monroe, Montgomery, and Morgan Counties; $30.50
- Vols 1-20 are available on CD-ROM for $145.00
- History of Middle New River Settlements and Contiguous Territory, David E. Johnston, 1906,
reprint, 556 pp, $35.00
Mountain Heritage Books; 101 Bryan Drive; St. Marys, WV 26170
- Shipping Costs: 1st Book $3.00 each additional book add $1.00 (Books shipped special book
rate.) West Virginia residents add 6% sales tax.
- Most Books listings are single copies, ... So this sampling of offerings is likely not
- Before ordering, email
or telephone: (304) 684-2529 (after 4:00 PM Eastern) to confirm availability
- Visit their website at http://www.mountainheritagebooks.com to check for latest offerings.
- WV-386 Centuries of Commentaries, 1992, by Dale Payne and Bob Beckelheimer, 114 pages,
- This book contains 38 articles including: "Brief History of Mercer
- WV-419 Early Princeton and the Episcopal Church, 1993, by William Sanders, 87 pages,
- FH-23 Flanigan Footprints, 1996, by Richard D. Flanigan, 320 pages, hardcover, $25.00
- A History of the Middle New River Settlements & Contiguous Territory; by David E.
Johnson. New reprint. High quality hardback, with new name index. $45.00 plus $5.00 shipping
- FH-2 The Pritchards of Bramwell, by William Pritchard Becker, 114 pages, paperback,
- Michael Flanigan left Ireland c1850 for America (Princeton, WV)
- Back issues of Goldenseal Magazine, including:
- GS-10 Fall-1982, with article on Mercer Healing Springs, $8.00
- GS-35 Fall-1993, with article on Maybeury Train Wreck, $6.00
- Tears on the Bluestone, 440 pages, including 100+ photos, by Arnold Hurd III
- deals primarily with Civil War soldiers of Mercer Co, WV
- contains histories and detailed rosters of the 151st Virginia Militia, the Flat Top Copperheads
and the Confederate Veterans in Mercer County, postwar.
Mountain Press, P.O. Box 400, Signal Mountain, TN 37377-0400
- Webpage addy: http://www.mountainpress.com/
- Postage is $3.50 for the first volume, and $1.00 for each additional volume
- Mercer County West Virginia - 1840 Census and 1838 Land Tax List, Netti Schreiner-Yantis,
- 1850 Mercer County WV Census, Nettie Schreiner-Yantis, $9
- 1860 Mercer County (West) Virginia Census, Betsy M. Holdren, $22.50
- Mercer Co WV Deaths - 1853-1882, Pauline Haga, $27.50
- Mercer Co WV Marriages 1854-1901, Sallie Hayes, $35
Native American Genealogical Research & Publishing Company
- P.O. Box 908, Hixson, TN 37343; 1-423-870-5960, 1-423-870-1796, 1-888-316-3694 (Orders
- Mercer County, West Virginia Marriages 1854 - 1901, Sallie Hayes, $35.00
- The records show the bride/groom, date/place of birth, parents, occupation, place of residence
at the time of license and minister.
- Sallie Hayes, is "a fictitious author," in honor of the great-grandmother (Sallie Hayes
Bowles) of the wife of the owner, Jeff Bowen
William Sanders; c/o Sanders, Austin, Swope & Flanigan; 320 Courthouse Rd, Princeton, WV 24740;
(304) 425-8125; FAX: (304) 425-4155
- A New River Heritage, 4 volumes, $39.60, each, including tax and postage
- Clay Family Settlement On the Bluestone River, 180 pgs, $18.00 plus $3.00 shipping (WV
residents add 6% sales tax.
- Story of the first White settlement of the Bluestone River
Vally in southern WV, showing the migration of the eastern VA families of Clay, Farley, Shrewsbury,
Belcher and Bailey
Freddie L. Spradlin; 3448 W. 170th St.; Torrance, CA 90504-2402
- Mercer County, West Virginia, 1870 Census; 122 pages, 8-1/2 x 11 inches, comb-bound,
full name index, $12.00 post-paid
Summers County Historical Society, P.O. Box 295, Hinton, WV 25951 (Attn: Barbara Keller)
- Summers County, WV, Cemeteries, indexed, $45.00, plus $5.00 s/h, WV Residents add
- compilation by volunteers of all known cemeteries with locations and headstone readings
- the western half of Summers was taken from Mercer Co
Updated October 17, 2009